Wednesday 31 March 2010

Spring time eating


One of the things I am most glad to see is the sign leading up to my office saying 'fresh cut asparagus.' A retired man sells bunches from his greenhouse every March and April and it definitely signals the beginning of spring, and the beginning of more interesting food.

There really is no point in buying asparagus out of season - its woody and has a strong cabbagey flavour that just isn't nice. Fresh asparagus is just lovely, tender and sweet.
By happy coincidence my colleagues hens have starting laying lots of eggs recently so she bought in some for us to take home.

I made a simple dinner of grilled asparagus (with just olive oil and salt and pepper), a fried egg and some garlic and olive oil ciabatta. It made for a perfect start to spring, even though the weather isn't trying very hard at the moment.
I think I'll be back to grab some more asparagus before the short season is over, I spotted this Asparagus Pesto recipe over on Local Lemons which looks great.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment