Wednesday 30 May 2012

Healthier Eating - Buddha Bowl


Contrary to how it may look it isn't all cakes, meals out and sandwich cookies around here. Unfortunately I have had to recently rein in my unhealthy eating which has meant exploring a whole new area of the food blogging world - healthy food blogs.

I've found lots of them, some can be a little more extreme than others but they are all good to get tips from for how to eat healthily and cutting out processed food. One of the things I have discovered is something called a Buddha Bowl, which is basically a bowl full of goodness which has to / should contain certain things. The 'formula' for a buddha bowl is (adapted from Keeping Healthy Getting Stylish )

- Healthy complex carb- quinoa, bulgar, brown rice, cous cous or Starchy Veg - sweet potato or squash
- Protein - beans, chickpeas, tofu if you are keeping it veggie - or grilled chicken / fish
- Vegetables - green ones are best - spring greens, broccoli, spinach, sugar snap peas, peas
- Healthy fat - mine is an avocado or you could try seeds or nuts
- Dressing - I usually go for simple olive oil / balsamic, or olive oil and mustard, you can try soy and honey. As long as it isn't a fatty creamy dressing.

My most recent one was a base of cooked quinoa, chickpeas (canned), peas, chopped carrot, sliced avocado, local cherry tomatoes and a mustard, olive oil and honey dressing. It was so filling, fresh and very summery. It took about 10 minutes to prepare, whilst I waited for the quinoa to cook I drained and add chickpeas, chopped veggies and made my dressing in a little jar. I sliced my avocado before eating to stop it being brown.

I've tried it again a couple of times since then - using cannelini beans, spring greens, spinach, bulgar and my usual dressing, and my trusty avocado. Toasted pine nuts are also a nice addition, I always toast too many when I make pesto.

Now I have a formula I feel armed with the ability to make better lunches!


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum, that looks like a delicious Buddha bowl quinoa and chickpeas are one of my favourite combos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, that sounds lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good and healthy too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and full of things I always have at home. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete